Sunday, August 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Ethan William



On August 15th, my youngest son, Ethan William turned one year old.  Having three older children, I knew the year would go fast but in this case it has been nothing short of a whirlwind!

Last year on the day of his "birth" things seem to go so very slow.  Labor, for Laura, lasted more than twelve hours and after so long the doctors made the decision to simply do a c-section and help him into the world.  He was not happy! 


His birth, while amazing and a terrific experience, was not at a fantastic time for me.  I was unemployed and would do my first of four job interviews with my current employer when Ethan was only two days old.  I was terrified of being the "unemployed" dad.  Ethan, however, did not seem to care. 

The first night he slept completely though the night and spend a good portion of that time sitting on my chest.  Laura slept very little as she would check on Ethan by reaching out of her bed to grab his hand and touch his face.  Holding him that first day met waiting your turn, even if you were his dad. 


Laura's Mother (Debbie), Father (Craig), sister (Kristi), Laura's friends (Elise, Laura, Heidi and Sarah)were all on hand to see Ethan come into the world and they quickly fell in love with him and demanded that they get to hold him. 

He was so amazingly big that he attracted the attention of nurse's at Bixby and they seemed to find a reason to come into the room to "help" with something.  This, of course, was kind of sweet to be honest. 


I spent the first month and a half of Ethan's life unemployed and with him and Laura everyday as she was on maternity leave.  It was, looking back, an amazing time. 

Ethan has grown so quickly that it is shocking.  At his one year doctor's appointment he was 32" and 27 lbs 6 oz.  He has been walking since he was ten months old and is now getting that he can (and does) ask for the things that he wants by pointing.  He loves to be held and played with and mostly he loves being read to. 


I don't know if I can express in words what this little boy and his Mother have done for me in the last year.  What I can say is this; "Ethan, you are one of the luckiest little boys on this earth.  You have a Mother, Grand Parents and Aunt that love and adore you.  You have shown me hope and joy.  You have two older brothers and an older sister that think you are the coolest thing ever! Ethan William . . . I love you and can't wait to see you grow into the wonderful young man that I know you will be".

Happy First Birthday, Son - Love, Dad




2 comments:

  1. What a handsome youngman he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete