Monday, April 28, 2014

Something I should have learned years ago, no question.



So, I ran across this on one of the blogs I enjoy reading and wanted to repost it.  It is a funny lesson written on the blog, Knuckledraggin My Life Away by Wirecutter.  I have linked the blog at the bottom but will warn folks it is an adult blog and not necessary child friendly.  Good humor, good postings and sometimes some great information. 

Anyhow, here is a lesson that I should have learned early in life and didn't.  Of course, I did learn it the hard way so in the end, I got it.  In more ways than one. 

I was about 8 or 9 I think when Pops asks me one evening “You know how to play the ‘Trust Game’?”

 “Yeah, me and my friends have played it. You mean the one where you stiffen up and fall backwards trusting the guy behind you to break your fall, right?”

“Yeah yeah, that’s the one. Let’s play – I’ll catch you ’cause I weigh about 4 times your scrawny ass.” He got up and walked over to the middle of the living room with hardly a stagger to his gait so I figured sure, why the hell not.

I get in front of him and he says “Anytime you’re ready, son. I’m right here” so I stiffen up, start to tip backwards and watched that sonofa***** (my edit) step to the side out of the corner of my eye. I hit the ground and was understandably pissed off and he says “Learn a lesson here, Boy?”

“Yessir” I said rubbing the back of my head, “Don’t trust your father?”

“No, but you’re close. The lesson was that the one you least expect it from is the one that’s gonna mess ya over (my edit). Think you can remember that?”

“After this? Uh, yeah.” Hey, I wasn’t real stupid.

 Pops just grinned and finished his beer.

http://knuckledraggin.com/2014/04/lesson-learned/





 

No comments:

Post a Comment